- Nicki Minaj announced her retirement from music on Twitter Thursday.
- “I’ve decided to retire and have my family,” she wrote, adding, “I know you guys are happy now.”
- “You guys” is likely a reference to media and social-media influencers she claimed were trying “to end” her last month.
- Minaj has faced criticism for her relationship with ex-con Kenneth Perry, with whom she’s reportedly obtained a marriage license.
- Perry served four years in prison for manslaughter and was convicted of attempted rape when he was 16.
On Thursday, Nicki Minaj shocked the music world by announcing her retirement on Twitter. “I’ve decided to retire and have my family,” the rap superstar wrote. “I know you guys are happy now. To my fans, keep reppin’ me, do it til da death of me, in the box–cuz ain’t nobody checkin me. Love you for LIFE.” As Complex notes, Minaj certainly seems content to settle down with boyfriend Kenneth Perry, as the two have reportedly obtained a marriage license. That being said, she’s received a fair amount of criticism for hooking up with Perry, who served four years in prison for manslaughter and was convicted of attempted rape when he was 16. Last month, she clapped back at the media and social-media gadflies for trying “to end” her, saying, “It’ll never f**king happen.”